Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Kicking it old school, an Elementary classic

What is better than this? Ok, so this is better, and really good at disappearing (really fast)! So what could beat the world's best sandwich that is also appropriate for lunch, dinner, midnight snack? Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies!

I don't know why I felt the need to move beyond the peanut butter & jelly sandwich, because truthfully I could eat it any day, at any time but sometimes you feel like a sandwich, and sometimes you feel like eating a bunch of cookies. Sometimes I feel like eating both, so that's just what I did.
Here's what you will need:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
  • cinnamon and sugar for sugaring the cookies
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup raspberry jam
Recipe only slightly adapted from Martha Stewart
Makes about 30 cookies, depending on the size of the cookie, roughly tbsp sized.

Wow, butter is delightful - but not worth taste testing, yet!

Butter and peanut butter and sugar, and more sugar - getting closer!

Vanilla and egg are added. I do taste the dough here. I know raw egg - yikes! - but I do it anyway.

Add in the flour and dry ingredients, and look at this crumbly, buttery deliciousness! Taste away - still raw egg if you're squeamish!
Ball up those cookies and throw them in with some sugar (I added cinnamon because I like it). I also like how they look like little mini donuts.
Bake at 350 - after ten minutes you pull these guys out of the oven and make a little dip in the top of the cookie, bake for another 6 or 7 minutes. Then fill the little dip with your favorite jelly, jam, marmalade.

And then pour a big glass of milk.

It's mandatory.
Peanut butter and jelly really loves milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment