Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's the extras...

I can't stress enough that the wedding we had was perfect for us. It was our dream wedding. It is my favorite day.

However, that doesn't mean that in the process of wedding planning I didn't see many other things that I would have liked to have had. I sometimes joked that I could have planned ten different weddings and each would be unique - but since we're only doing this once, those other designs and inspiration boards will have to wait for friends' weddings, renewals and theme parties!



I am a long time fan of the beautiful calligraphy work of Laura Hooper. So much of a fan that at one point I attempted to make "Laura Hooper style Save the Dates". We obviously went a different route, you can't beat the real thing. I love her work for the whimsy, and unique heart each piece gets.

Designed by Laura Hooper Calligraphy



Doesn't this make you feel like you're about to find a Secret Garden? I love, love, love this lush aisle runner of multi-colored petals. The delighted flower girl seems to agree with me!
Image: Rebecca Thuss


We didn't serve a signature drink, that was a trend we didn't jump on. We did serve Champagne immediately after the ceremony. If we went signature, it would have been a mojito (we're both big fans) and in little glasses like this. I love the idea of miniature food and drinks - and of a drink that reflects the location, or the couple.

A wedding we went to on the Big Island of Hawaii served Champagne with dried hibiscus flowers inside - it was a beautiful, subtle touch of Hawaii.

Marni Rothschild Pictures



Here's a little known secret - you can't do this look if you're getting married inside of a hotel, conference center, or restaurant. As devastating as that is, it's an obvious fire hazard. I love the look of tall tapered candles, so I'll have to figure out an occasion to incorporate this into eventually.
Image from Martha Stewart



Ever since I saw Father of the Bride, I was smitten with Chivari Chairs. To me they scream wedding. I am really loving them in the soft gold for a classic look and lacquered black for a dramatic, high glamor style.
Image from The Lace House


The sparkler exit... This is something Mark really wanted. I think if our ceremony and reception hadn't been 4 feet apart this is something we would have done. It's a beautiful site and totally classic. Ultimately, we didn't miss it, we had plenty of flash bulbs popping.
Swensen Photography

In wedding planning it's often the extras and details you really sweat and agonize over. At the end of the day you need three things: a partner, an officiant and a witness, in that moment you'll find all the sparkle you (or your planner) could ever pay for. The rest is just extras...


2 comments:

  1. I love getting a dose of my daily batch.
    It always leaves me wanting more.

    Greats posts and pics!
    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. favorite part... a partner, an officiant and a witness (b/c i was the witness)

    a great wedding also needs music and drinks and yours had both!

    ReplyDelete