Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Summertime Oasis in the City

It's no secret that summer has officially started, and the warmer weather is calling us outside for our meals and socializing.  Our new neighborhood brings us closer to friends and our new home brings us more outdoor space than we have ever had.

We'd like to eventually have our outdoor space be an extension of our indoor space - comfortable, inviting, and meant for drinking and dining.

This is my wish list:

Alfresco Dining Collection by Crate and Barrel
This outdoor collection is a bit more modern than the rest of our indoor furniture, but I think the clean lines and bright pop of orange serve our space really well, and would keep the space looking fresh, vibrant and fun.

The bizarre mix of high heat and bursts of rain and an abundance of humidity has introduced us to a little friend, the mosquito.  In our effort to thwart his reign of terror we've been stocking up on citronella candles left and right, they aren't typically as cute as these!
Citronella Candles in Pineapple, Cassis and Rain scents at Bloomingdale's

Now that there is a place to sit, and the bugs are being kept at bay, pull up a chair and have something to eat.  These bright plates by Jonathan Adler remind me of my favorite citrus fruits and seem so very sunny and happy!
Jonathan Adler "Kaleidoscope" Summer Dishware at Bloomingdale's

I recently read in Food & Wine (August 2010) the right beverages to drink in these high temperatures.  It turns out when it's 100+ degrees (which it has been, gross!) the only worthwhile thing to drink is a beer.  Drink it in these:
Portland Beer Glasses by Crate and Barrel

Hold the remaining bottles and cans in this - it just says party to me, and what's not to love about that?
Beverage Bucket at Bed, Bath & Beyond

True confession, I'm not a beer drinker.  I want lemonades, mojitos and sangria and other fruity fun drinks - and I want them to be beautifully displayed in this.  I love that its pretty and functional, and reminds me of a favorite Spa Hotel in my hometown.

Beverage Jar at Sur La Table
How will you make your summer space chic?

1 comment:

  1. I want a dress printed the design of those plates, love. That outdoor table is incredible, get it so I can sit there when I visit

    ReplyDelete