Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Something to Think About

A few months ago BrideTide tweeted on a Saturday morning, "Someone, somewhere is getting married today."  It has stuck with me ever since.  

Obviously someone, somewhere is getting married all hours of the day and everyday of the week (Hello, Vegas!) but generally speaking in the United States wedding day is a Saturday.  Not too long ago I drove past a beautiful old church just as the bride and her bridesmaids got out of the car and began to climb up the steps.  


I was overjoyed. I didn't know that bride, I had never been inside of that church, but I truly felt so excited for her and them.  I mentioned that tweet from many months ago in an effort to get everyone to share my joy.  Mark nodded along, and then my sister pointed out other major life things happen all the time too: people die and babies are born.

That is true.  Check for the little sister.

Here's is how I explained it is different.  Marriage is a birth of a new chapter for two people.  In some ways it is the death of their single lifestyles.  But, more than that, marriage (not the wedding) is an active choice.  It is the moment of "I choose you and I choose to go through life by your side.  Literally, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer - when you look around, that's me, right by your side." 


That moment that I caught that bride in, the excitement with girlfriends before the ceremony, the dress shopping, the registry, the ring, the proposal, that is nothing compared to that moment when you make the choice.  Getting married is not being married.  Being married is all that much better.

Check mate for the big sister.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for mentioning us in this fab blog post! Love your perspective! Rudy @ BrideTide

    ReplyDelete