Friday, January 14, 2011

The Golden Globes, a kickoff to Awards Season

This Sunday is the Golden Globes - and the first "real" award show of the season.  For me the viewing begins hours before the first award is given with the pre-show.  Nothing beats a glamorous red carpet, and because the Golden Globes are more fun* than the Academy Awards the celebrities tend to have a bit more fun.

I will definitely do a recap of the awards next week,  but in the interim I reviewed the designers Pre-Fall collections for 2011 to get a hint of what we might see on the red carpet.  Here are my picks for the actresses in the Best Actress in a Drama category, all images from Style.com.

Halle Berry in J. Mendel - this dress is easy, its graceful, and it will still highlight the best of Halle Berry - plus I think she radiates in metallic tones.

Nicole Kidman in Carolina Herrera - Nicole Kidman often goes for the lady look, and few do "lady" better than Carolina Herrera.  I really don't expect this to be Nicole's year so this might be too much dress for her, but otherwise I think she would look lovely in it.

Jennifer Lawrence in Naeem Khan - I had to Google Jennifer Lawrence as I have never heard of her... In any case a lot of what I saw was a bit more bohemian and very textured.  I love the color and the texture of this gown and that it is very formal, without being a ball gown a la Penelope Cruz.


Natalie Portman in Reem Acra - Natalie is a mom to be, but has never been shy about her fashion choices.   In her most recent public appearance she has been all Mary Quant, short dresses and high collars, so with that in mind I loved the detail on this collar and the ease of the dress.  I don't know what she will wear, but I know it won't be tulle, and hopefully not black.

Michelle Williams in Derek Lam - Michelle is a fashion darling, she always looks timeless and chic, and I love her platinum pixie haircut.  She tends to favor more vintage styles and I liked the retro vibe of this gown and the bold color. 

See you on the Red Carpet!

*They sit with friends and drink all night long...

No comments:

Post a Comment