Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The International Language of Love

I met my husband in October of 2006. In the early stages of dating when we'd be in the car I would often catch myself playing with a sweat band wrapped I found in the center console that commemorated the four World Cup championships Italy has won. He was still feeling proud three months after watching his countrymen (his mother is Italian) win the World Cup in Germany (his father's birthplace). I am not much of a soccer follower, but as a fan of the spirit of all sports I delighted in the stories of Mark and friends running through the streets of Georgetown with a "forza azzurri" spirit!
Remove Formatting from selection
Four years later, and now married, we watched the World Cup together. We texted over morning games and watched the replays at home after work. This time we cheered on Italy, Germany and the USA. For me the highlight is not the goals, penalties or the bravo acting but the pure emotion these champions and underdogs express for the love of the game and love of country.

Sometimes though, it is just for the love of love, and I'm glad I got to share this World Cup and the future ones with my mine:
Spain's Goalie Iker Casillas and his girlfriend and report Sara Carbonero

Roughly translates to: (reporting to J)
Sara: "J, all the principal players are leaving but Iker is staying... well how did it all start & look now?" Iker: "What do you want me to say?" Sara: "How are you? How do you feel?" Iker: "Well this a wonderful day. I'm very happy. I think we deserve it in the end. I dedicate this to the people that has supported me always, (looks into her eyes) my parents, my brother" (voice starts to crack) *both get emotional* Sara: "It's okay. We'll talk more on the match & then we'll return back..." Iker: "No." Sara: "No?" Iker: "I'd rather kiss you."

No comments:

Post a Comment