Monday, September 27, 2010

New York Fashion Week: Spring 2011 is Looking Lovely

I have finally finished reviewing the many, many fashion shows that highlighted the transitioning into fall days of September. 

Fashion is a funny game; we preview the spring before fall starts, and preview the fall before the snow has melted in New York.  I love the fashion shows, and neither fall nor spring wins preference with me.  I love the spring shows because as a Florida girl I love the ease, the casual aesthetic, the classic sportswear and the bright colors.  I love the fall shows for the richness, the holiday glamour, the texture and refinement.  Quite happily the Spring 2011 shows had the best of both seasons: brilliant colors, ladylike shapes, classic shapes and styles, and glitter.

These are a few trends that are sticking out above the rest for me: 

Belts: I love the ladylike refinement of this dress and belt from Oscar de la Renta.  I love the pop of the strong colors against the softer pinks of the fabric.  Belts were popping up all over the runway and all throughout my favorites from the season, they are flattering and they take an outfit from the everyday to wow.


Color: Oh Marc... The colors, the accessories, the knits - it was the best of the 70's without feeling dated, costumey or over the top.  I felt like the entire Marc Jacobs collection was completely wearable and more than that fun, and bright.  I like how the use of color was elevated beyond what is normally thought of as spring colors and given a greater richness and depth with jewel tones.


High Waist Pants: I am a jeans girl and so I do appreciate an amazing fit on a pair of pants.  I also like the way a high waist pant flatters a woman's body, creates curves if there are none, supports curves if there are some.  Katherine Hepburn knew what she was doing when she made the pant a mainstay in the wardrobe of American women, and Monique Lhuillier takes it a step further by elegantly putting pants in the category for evening.


Glitter: I love Ralph Lauren.  I love how the brand is unchanged, how he seemingly ignores the current trend to stay true to his classic American style.  His collections makes even a city girl consider oversized buckles and a home in Wyoming.  I love the fluidity, and liquid nature of this glitter and how it is smartly toughened up by the contrasting leather belt and shawl - it's not too sweet, it's American Glamour.



You can see the rest of my selected favorites here.

But this, this is my favorite of all.  I love the tank style that reads as so effortless, I love the deep neckline that doesn't go so deep to be vulgar, I love the cinched waist with the bow-tied belt and the abstract and slimming design at the front.    


I love Carolina Herrera.  She reminds me of the grandmother of my best friend.  She exudes an old world glamour but has the ability to dress today's woman of any age.  She, and her collection, are the perfect example of sophistication, chic and timeless fashion. 

I can feel Fall creeping up on me, and I am still looking for the perfect new sweaters, boots, and more, but Spring has never looked more dreamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment