Tuesday, October 19, 2010

On Finding Inspiration

Thirty years ago today my parents got married.  

My dad had the remnants of an Afro, my mom had stick straight hair and wore a simple polyester gown.  They were engaged for nine weeks - not a lot of time to plan a wedding by today's standards but long enough to plan a marriage.

My bouquet wrapped with lace from my mom and mom's veils, 1313blog.com
My parents follow in the footsteps of their parents; my maternal grandparents have been married for 56 years and my paternal grandparents for 62 years.  As I grew up I would observe my grandparents, and the "funny" things they would do, and now that I am older I see the same things in my own parents.  

They look after each other.  They have stories and memories that could fill books.  They do the little things; pick up the dry cleaning, make the perfect cup of coffee, prepare a sandwich just the right way.  They are for each other the right fit: a partner, a friend, and a love.  They still flirt with each other.  They sing, and share the same music; the music of their own lives.  They are fierce parents (and grandparents) and have created homes that welcome their children, and (grandchildren, and great-grandchildren).  They are still very much in love; my dad proves it to me every time he makes comments on my mom's new hair cut, toned arms, great smile.  


I am so lucky to have an example of a long and fruitful marriage to look at, learn from and aspire to.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad, wishing you many, many more years of love, happiness, and health.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment